Яндекс.Метрика
2026-02-20

Investigation Begins Into Deadly Castle Peak, CA, Avalanche as Families of Victims Speak Out





The California Division of Occupational Safety and Health, known as Cal/OSHA has launched an investigation into the catastrophic avalanche near Lake Tahoe’s Castle Peak that killed nine people during a guided backcountry ski trip, authorities confirmed Thursday. OSHA said it is examining the incident involving guides employed by Blackbird Mountain Guides LLC. The agency investigates workplace hazards, including accidents that result in serious injury or death.



Related: 11-Year-Old Girl Killed in Avalanche Near Brighton Ski Resort as Utah Marks Another Backcountry Tragedy



The avalanche struck Tuesday morning near the Frog Lake huts outside Truckee as a group of 15 people—four guides and 11 clients—were returning to the trailhead on the final day of a three-day hut trip. Nevada County authorities said eight skiers were confirmed dead by Wednesday, with another later presumed dead, making it the deadliest avalanche in modern California history. Six others survived after being buried in snow for hours before rescue teams located them late Tuesday.

Authorities say hazardous weather and unstable snowpack have delayed recovery efforts, which are expected to continue into the weekend. The Nevada County Sheriff’s Office said crews have been unable to safely extract all victims due to ongoing avalanche danger and severe conditions. Authorities also noted that victim identities will not be released until recovery operations are complete.

In response, the U.S. Forest Service has closed all National Forest lands and trails in the Castle Peak area from February 20 through March 15 to protect the public and allow emergency responders to work safely. Authorities have urged the public to respect the closure. The Sierra Avalanche Center had issued a high avalanche warning for the region before the slide, following a powerful storm cycle that brought about three feet in 48 hours, combined with strong winds and a weak underlying snowpack. The avalanche itself was reported to be roughly the length of a football field.

Some of the victims were members of the Sugar Bowl Academy community, a private ski academy near Donner Summit. In a statement, the school described the tragedy as deeply affecting its close-knit community and said support efforts for families and students were underway.

Blackbird Mountain Guides founder Zeb Blais said the company is mourning the loss of both clients and experienced guides. He said all guides on the trip held professional certifications and that route decisions are typically made with input from senior staff monitoring conditions. The company has suspended field operations while investigations continue.

Cal/OSHA said it is required to issue any citations within six months if violations are found, though investigations of complex incidents can take months to complete. The agency did not provide a timeline for when findings might be released. Meanwhile, search and recovery operations continue, involving multiple agencies and volunteers from across the Sierra region, as the safety remains the top priority amid ongoing avalanche risk.

A letter from the families of the victims is attached below: 



“We are devastated beyond words.

Our focus right now is supporting our children through this incredible tragedy and honoring the lives of these extraordinary women. They were all mothers, wives and friends, all of whom connected through the love of the outdoors. They were passionate, skilled skiers who cherished time together in the mountains. They lived in the Bay Area, Idaho, and the Truckee–Tahoe region.

We have many unanswered questions, but here is what we know at this time: Eight close friends planned a professionally guided, two-night backcountry hut trip to Frog Lake Huts outside Truckee, California. The trip had been organized well in advance. They were experienced backcountry skiers who deeply respected the mountains. They were trained and prepared for backcountry travel and trusted their professional guides on this trip. They were fully equipped with avalanche safety equipment.

We are profoundly grateful for the extensive rescue efforts by Nevada County Search and Rescue, Tahoe Nordic Search and Rescue and all of the authorities involved, and for the outpouring of support from the Tahoe community and beyond.

We are heartbroken and are doing our best to care for one another and our families in the way we know these women would have wanted.

We are asking for privacy and space as our families grieve this sudden and profound loss.

From the families of:

Carrie Atkin

Liz Clabaugh

Danielle Keatley

Kate Morse

Caroline Sekar

Kate Vitt”



The post Investigation Begins Into Deadly Castle Peak, CA, Avalanche as Families of Victims Speak Out appeared first on SnowBrains.

Ссылка на источник: https://snowbrains.com/investigation-begins-into-deadly-castle-peak-ca-avalanche-as-families-of-victims-speak-out/